Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Stuffed Cucumber


The basics


The basics + mayo & sriracha


Anything hollowed out should be filled with goodness


Pretty


Even more pretty!


We had a potluck at work and this is what I brought. It was mighty tasty. I just recently had my braces tightened so it was ever-so-slightly difficult to eat, but so worth it. I love mayo. I call it the condiment of the gods. Gee, have I already mentioned this on a previous post? Quite possible. Miracle Whip is absolutely nasty and offensive. Truly. I shudder...

Half the cukes were stuffed with hummus, and half with spicy crab. The crab recipe is mostly mine though I got the idea from Domestic Fits and the hummus was from Life and Kitchen. Looking at the pictures now I see I could have made my hummus prettier. Some paprika would have gone a long way.

I am really starting to cringe at my imprecise measurements. I can't tell if it is annoying to people who would like me to be specific or if it works that they can put as little or as much of whatever ingredient as they want. I really don't measure most of my recipes. When I read a recipe I am more looking for inspiration and getting a gist of what ingredients went in there than say...1/2 tsp. of nutmeg. I get it. This recipe has nutmeg. And that's all I really need to know. Hence why I am a shitty baker. Baking is precise. So for the crab, I got a package of crab from the store, stuck a tablespoon into the mayo jar and plopped two big heaping tablespoons of awesomeness onto the shredded crab. But I don't know how much crab I had. I mean really...you just need enough mayo to coat the crab. And enough sriracha to make it as spicy as you want. I also added a few grinds of salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste. Oh...poo, some dijon mustard would have been good. just a heaping tsp. though.

Spicy crab filling:

Package of crab
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 heaping Tb. of mayo
1 heaping tsp. of dijon mustard
Sriracha and Lemon juice to taste

I peeled the cucumber and sliced it about a half inch thick?? I scooped out the innards with my 1/4 tsp. measuring spoon which works as an awesome melon baller. The first time will feel weird, but you get pretty good at it. Then fill appropriately. I sprinkled the spicy crab with sesame seeds, and the hummus would have looked pretty with paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment