Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Whiskey Vanilla Whipped Cream


Cheap Croutons


Cream and Egg Yolks make the world go round...literally


Love me some spice


Before


After


Voila




I've never made bread pudding before. I feel like this could have been better with quality bread. There are a ton of fantastic bakeries in the area. I am almost ashamed that I did not take advantage of it. Almost...
I wanted to make these right away, no time for day old bread!! But really there was...I was supposed to make these yesterday. Oh well.

This was initially a Gourmet's Magazine recipe, adapted by Smitten Kitchen, adapted by Use Real Butter.

5 1/2 c. croutons/day old cubed bread
6 Tb. melted butter (am also ashamed to admit that I had barely a tablespoon of butter available, recipe of shame!)

3/4 c. packed pureed pumpkin
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar, I used way less, maybe 1/4
2 eggs, 1 yolk
1/2 tsp salt
smattering of appropriate spices
2 Tb. rum, whiskey, bourbon, whatever you fancy
1 Tb. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.

In a bowl combine croutons and melted butter.

In another bowl add the second half of the ingredients. For the spices I just what I had on hand, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. than pour on croutons. Toss to combine. Pour into non-greased baking dish/ramekins. Bake for 15-25 minutes depending on size of dish.

Whiskey Vanilla Whipped Cream

1/4 c. whipping cream
2 Tb. powdered sugar
a shot of whiskey, rum, bourbon, whatever
vanilla bean seeds from one bean

Pour in blender, blend.

These measurements are ridiculously imprecise. I am totally guessing as to what I put in that blender, so if it turns out wrong, tweek your measurements. I would say it probably had a little too much whiskey in it and surprisingly not enough sugar.




No comments:

Post a Comment