Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Grey's Anatomy Garlic Soup



The absolutely most amazing thing you can do with garlic


Raw vs. Roasted


Adding the Cream


Final Concoction



I watched about four episodes of Grey's Anatomy while making this soup. I don't think it should have taken that long, I think I would just stop what I was doing to laugh, or cry, or pee. I am currently not consuming as much alcohol as I used to, but I like to drink something during my evenings. So, we bought a gallon of apple cider and I drank a ton! And therefore, peed a ton. By the time my soup was done my taste buds had been soaking in cider for hours I don't think I was able to properly taste it. I did have the soup for lunch today though, and it was pretty strong. Good, but strong.
Since I was on my feet for over three hours I got lazy at the end and didn't properly blend my soup so it was, er..chunky. But not necessarily in a bad way. Next time I make this I would like a creamier, thicker consistency.
Also, I would love to toss in the Parmesan while it's cooking, and blend it into the soup.


Grey's Anatomy Garlic Soup

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen


26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)

splash of olive oil

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter

1large onion, sliced

1 1/2 teaspoons thyme (it called for fresh, but I only had dry)

18 garlic cloves, peeled

Enough chicken broth to cover (3ish cups)

1/2 cup whipping cream

Parmesan Cheese, for garnish

Lemon juice (forgot this!)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass baking dish, drizzle with EVOO, salt, pepper. Cover with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, 45ish minutes. Cool. Peel.

Melt butter. Add onions and thyme and cook until onions are translucent, 6ish minutes. Add roasted garlic and raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, enough to cover the garlic and onion. Cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes. Blend. Return to saucepan; add cream and bring to simmer.

In your bowls, add the soup, top with a sprinkle of lemon juice, parmesan and fresh salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment