Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Detox.....again



Last detox was mildly successful. We are giving it another go, for three whole weeks. :(. Okay I am somewhat excited. The Medjool Dates were my last meal of sorts, and this morning I start with oatmeal. YUM! Talk about a flavortastic snack and a totally bland breakfast. I know, negative thinking. Dinner was very good though. I picked a recipe from my Cafe Flora cookbook and ended up changing it, and changing it some more until it no longer resembled the original at all. Eventually I ended making brown rice with tomato and shallots and topping it with lentils bathed in a zesty/creamy coconut sauce. The coconut sauce was taken directly from the Cafe Flora cookbook with some mild changes (loved it!)
3 star anise
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
8 whole cloves
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 14 oz. cans coconut milk (I only used one)
1 Tb. Tamari
1 tsp. honey
1 Tb. tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder

Put first five spices in sauce pan until mustard pops. Add rest of ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Mine simmered way longer as I wanted more intense flavors and a thicker sauce.

Considering that I can't have any dairy I was impressed with the creamy texture of this sauce. Detoxing always encourages using unique ingredients! The picture looks pretty blah but it was a kick in the mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment