Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies

 Ahh, Oatmeal cookies. I made these per Casey's request. Cookies for me go flat, flat, flat in the oven. I usually get a thin, crispy, square cookie sheet by the time it's done. They generally taste good but look horribly unappealing. So I started did my foodgawker search with keywords "chewy" and came up with this fabulous recipe from Piece of Cake.



I was skeptical at first. I can be a snob about certain ingredients that have a bad rep, or ingredients I don't much about, so I have refused to cook with shortening. It seems, I admit, unnatural. I have some misguided notion that when they made cookies back in the day they didn't have shortening so I shouldn't have to use it now. But they made it in 1869. Did they make cookies before 1869?? Surprisingly the Chocolate Chip Cookie was created in 1930. 









So I did a little research and while it may not be the best thing for you, it is the magic ingredient that has been missing from my past. Since butter has a low melting point and a higher water content than shortening, cookies made with butter have tend to go flatter. Plus I can't say no to a recipe that was handed down from somebody's Grandmother. I mean, really? I'll take someone's grandmothers recipe over a famous chef's any day. So click on the link above and give a try. They turned out perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment