Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Apple Frangipane Bites and New Years Resolutions

I am anti-New Years Resolutions. There is a reason people don't usually keep them. 
I usually make some vague, Be Better! Do Better! statement but I don't think I ever come up with anything specific. I do something like, 'I'm going to rock next year!' It doesn't ever really go anywhere. 

I feel like I am in a constant state of improving myself. It's exhausting. Maybe I should make goals like: 'I'm going to relax this year.' I just recently read an article that eating out is slowly becoming cheaper than eating in, since food costs are soaring. Maybe my goal should be to save money, by eating out more often. Wow! I think I found a resolution I can keep. I hope Casey won't mind. 
Though in all seriousness I have made a goal to stop drinking, and am in fact bringing in the New Year sober. I plan on buying the most ridiculously expensive heirloom, organic, over-the-top sparkling cider that I can find for the evening! 



Almond Flour and Sugar being mixed with eggs

Sugared and Cinnamoned Apples 

Before Cooking

After Cooking


I made a huge error in this recipe and somehow it still turned out okay. I've mentioned before that baking isn't quite my thing. I have come to realize that I am not a good baker but a lucky baker. I can apparently leave out butter from a recipe and still have it turn out fine.
I know this because I made two batches. Once I realized that I had forgotten the butter in the first batch I added it in the second and the taste/flavor was very comparable.

Apple and Frangipane Bites
Adapted from Bake List
Makes 30 small cups

30 Frozen pre-made, pre-baked pastry cups.

Filling
2/3 thirds of a Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced and cut into small pieces
White Sugar
Brown Sugar
Dash of cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. flour

Toss all ingredients together in a small bowl. Use equal parts brown and white sugar, enough to lightly coat the apples.

Frangipane
1/2 c. almond flour, lightly toasted
2 Tb. all purpose flour
1/2 c. white sugar
pinch of kosher salt
2 eggs
3 Tb. unsalted butter, room temp

Whisk together first four ingredients. Add butter. Add eggs.

Assembly

Fill the cups with apple pieces and slowly add the frangipane on top, let it settle to the bottom and add more if needed. Bake for 20 minutes at 400. Keep an eye on it, make sure the edges don't start to burn!


No comments:

Post a Comment