Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Cheese, Beet and Apple Tarts


Mise en place



Beets

Cutting out the Tarts


What to do with the scraps?

Goat Cheese and a slice of Mt. Townsend Creamery's Seastack cheese

Add the spinach

Layer on Apples and Beets

Voila

A little EVOO goes a long way


Finally a success! Simple recipe but with quality ingredients. Since I love all things Halloween and Autumn I purchased Martha Stewart's Halloween issue as soon as it hit the shelves. I found this recipe and made a few adjustments. Instead of the white cheddar I used goat cheese that I already had and I used the rest of my Seastack from Mt. Townsend Creamery. Which, by the way, is an awesome cheese. I can't wait to try their Off Kilter which is made with Pike Brewing's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale, which is an awesome beer. Did I really just say Awesome Cheese and Awesome beer?? Damn straight, it's just that awesome. If you have this cheese in your store, get it. Back to the recipe...I also had spinach lying around so I added that. In first picture you see there is zucchini on my cutting board which I meant to add, but forgot. As for my puff pastry woes I stabbed the pastry with a fork and it seemed to work just fine. No excavating for me today. Also, a mandolin is super helpful here. 
Did I like these tarts? Absolutely! I would have liked a little more cheese but still good. Case doesn't like beets so these six are all for me!

Goat Cheese, Beets and Apple Tarts
Makes 6 Tarts a little bigger than my palm

1 sheet frozen puff pastry
2 beets, peeled, sliced
1 apple, sliced
1/4 c. goat cheese (maybe less)
Handful of Spinach

Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400. Cut out desired shape. If I could do it again I would have made squares, I wasted puff pastry making circles. Stab with fork, sprinkle with cheese, than spinach, than beets and finally apples on top. Salt + Pepper. Bake until edges are golden brown 13-15 minutes. Drizzle with Olive Oil. Eat hot or room temp and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment