Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

[Affordable] food is awesome

And so it is! I've never considered myself a baker but the truth is, baking is sharable! Cakes, pies, cookies, and candies are easily transported and served. They don't need to be reheated and sugar makes everyone happy. The fabulousness of baking is that once you have the essential items, you can make most anything without having to go to the store. Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, butter, eggs and vanilla extract and you can make a dozen recipes right there! These ingredients are also cheap and that makes it truly magical. Mix, whip, beat, pour; add some heat and you can feed a dozen!

In the past couple months I have discovered pinterest. It's like foodgawker on crack. I can't seem to stay away from it. I have discovered a well of untapped inspiration in addition to bananas-awesome food bloggers & vloggers. Heather from SprinkleBakes is a bitchin' awesome blogger with an equally bitchin' cookbook. I am sadly intimidated by baking so I tend to go for the easy pickings (for now!).




I decided to try her yema candy recipe. Her pictures are definitely cuter than mine in her book but these kinda do justice...There is only supposed to be yellow sanding sugar but I ran out and had to use the orange and the red too. They are a nice, creamy, nutty, buttery candy. I did like them a lot - maybe even ate most of them before my coworkers could. If you get a chance, definitely get this book. It has super cool nerdy information about baking for all levels, cute pictures and fabulous recipes.



Yema Candy
Adapted from Sprinkle Bakes *

1 Tb. butter
1 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
5 egg yolks
1/2 c. pistachios
Sanding sugar (it should be yellow but I ran out)


1. Melt butter in a medium pan
2. Add sweetened condensed milk and heat for a minute.
3. Add egg yolks, stir.
4. Keep stirring until it forms a thick paste and pulls away from sides of pan (this did not happen for me, so .... I may have over cooked it.)
5. Remove from heat and let cool completely
6. Once cooled, shape into 1 inch balls and cover in sanding sugar.
7. Serve and enjoy!

*This recipe is not on her website but is in her book (which is awesome)


No comments:

Post a Comment