Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Stuffed Tomatoes




The baked stuffed tomatoes.



Hollowed out tomatoes...

...than stuffed...


...and served with spinach quinoa.

I made sangria last night. It was pretty phenomenal, though it packed a bit more of a kick than I was anticipating. I added the juice of two blood oranges, juice of half a lime, rooibos tea, rum and calvados to some boxed red wine I got at Trader Joe's (which just opened in West Seattle!). The blood orange alone was amazing, I might actually make some this weekend it was so good. To me they taste like a sweeter grapefruit.

This weekend should be photorific. Case and I are traveling north to see the Tulip Festival in Mt. Vernon and onto to Deception Pass and Port Townsend. Later I'll be taking a photography class courtesy of a Groupon. I'm pretty stoked. I keep waffling on getting another lens. I'm ready to 'advance' but I cringe every time I see the price. I may end up renting a lens for a day or two and splurge if I fall in love with one.

As for these tomatoes - pretty damn good. I've never cooked with ground pork - only turkey and chicken. Maybe because Ground Turkey is very lean (healthy, yuck!). I was thrilled with them, Casey not as much. He wasn't a fan of the ground meat but I am totally okay with that texture.

Stuffed Tomatoes
Adapted from Bon Appetit

2 Large Tomatoes
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 c. peppers diced
1/2 c. leek diced
3 minced garlic cloves
1/3 c. bread crumbs
1 tsp. paprika
Handful of parmesan to sprinkle on top

Heat oil. Soften onion, peppers, leeks and garlic. While it is softening, hollow out the tomatoes, chop up the guts and add it to the veggies. Add pork. Add bread crumbs and whatever seasoning you desire to use. Stuff the tomatoes and top with parmesan. Bake it for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment