Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Deep Fried Oyster po'boy

Mayo, Red Pepper, Onion, Sesame Seeds, and Sriracha

...all mixed together

Delectable Oysters in cornmeal

The awesome sandwhich

The fried oyster 
This is definitely one of the better meals I have made in awhile. Casey went down south for a boy's night and so I made something entirely unappetizing to him - fried oysters with a simplified remoulade. I seriously woke up this morning thinking about it. I love oysters. Raw, Fried, Smoked, Shooters. It's all awesome. I would have to say though that smoked is my least favorite if only because they are so dry and I really love the juicyness of them. This is a Bon Appetite recipe for Oyster Tacos - but I had nice bread rolls in the house and used those instead. The original remoulade recipe has a few more ingredients that I decided to leave out including the main one - relish. I really don't know what I would use the leftover relish for. But I loved the quick remoulade that I ended up doing. Also it called for freshly shucked oysters - which is a lot of work! I purchased and jar of medium oysters. Since I live the northwest I trust that they are fresh. Plus, I am deep frying them anyways. The oysters that I could not fit on the two sandwiches I made, I dunked in the leftover remoulade. *sigh* amazingness.


Oyster po'boy
Adapted from Bon Appetit

Remoulade

1/2 c. Mayo
3 Tb. minced red pepper
3 Tb. minced sweet onion
1 Tb. Sriracha
1 tsp. sesame seeds
freshly ground black pepper and salt


po'boy

1/2 c. yellow corn meal
1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 Tb. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. baking powder

lettuce /tomatoes/sandwich toppers

Mix all ingredients together for the Remoulade. Mix together first four po'boy ingredients. GENTLY dredge the oysters in the mixture. (I plopped them all in there but they are so juicy I got clumps of cornmeal that stuck together and not on the oyster and hence I got deep fried cornmeal balls). Deep fry the oysters for three minutes in 1 inch oil heated to 350. Place on sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment