Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Green Harissa Chicken with Lemony Whole Wheat Couscous



Onion, garlic and turmeric for the couscous

This is actually a very bright yellow...the camera just wasn't able to pick it up.




I actually cooked the chicken in two different ways. Two of the pieces went on our foreman, and two of the pieces went in a non-stick skillet. I wanted the sauce to be...well...saucy. In truth I have made this kind of herby concoction before and the herbs tend to clump together and separate from the oil in the skillet...very unattractive, but on the foreman I feel like all the goodness (sauce, fat, you name it) drips down.  So I am torn. But ultimately I liked it either way. The foreman is a bitch to clean and so I would maybe do it in the skillet in the future? At least it can cook in the sauce and retain some of the flavor better.
I would recommend cooking the chicken, and than keeping it warm while the couscous cooks. My peas actually over cooked keeping the couscous warm while the chicken was cooking. I am really bad at figuring out how long it takes meat to cook. Hence why I like cooking things for hours until they fall apart. There is no way to overcook it.

Green Harissa
Adapted from Bon Appetite (I know, I know I should find recipes elsewhere)

1 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 c. chopped spinach
1/4 c. EVOO
1 garlic clove
1 serrano chili
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. cumin

Combine all ingredients, season with salt. I let my Chicken marinate in this for a couple hours.

Couscous
Adapted from You Know Where

1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 c. minced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 c. veggie stock
1 1/4 c. whole wheat couscous
1 c. frozen peas
1/2 c. minced fresh chives (I wish I had added this!)
Juice of 1 lemon

Heat oil in pan. Add onion, garlic and turmeric, saute until soft. Stir in stock, bring to boil, add couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in peas, chives an lemon juice.



No comments:

Post a Comment