Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crock Pot Tikka Masala with Cilantro Rice



This recipe made me fall in love with our crock pot all over again. So easy!!! So easy to make!!! And so delicious! I had to slow myself down when I was eating it. Seriously. If you have slow cooker and you like indian food you must absolutely make this. I don't know how most crock pot works but ours is small and you can remove the bowl from the heating device. So, I made this the night before and put the container in the fridge, Casey woke up he turned it on and when I came home there was dinner! Already made and barley a mess to clean up!

Crock Pot Tikka Masala
Adapted from Real Simple

1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, whole
2 Tb. tomato paste
2 tsp. Garam Masala
1 chicken breast
cilantro
1 c. jasmine rice
heavy cream

The night before (though you could do this in the morning if you really really wanted to):

In slow cooker combine first five ingredients with some salt and pepper. Place chicken on top.

The day of:

In the morning turn your slow cooker on. For us, about eight hours later we came home, shredded the chicken, and put it back on the heat. Cook the jasmine rice and while it's cooking clean and pick off the cilantro leaves. When the rice is done, add the cilantro. Add the heavy cream to the crock pot, let it get warm again, and serve.

Now, for the heavy cream, they call for 1/2 c. which I think is absolutely ridiculous. It's hard for me to say how much I used, since Casey didn't want heavy cream at all, so I only added it to mine. I didn't even add 1/4 c. Just a splash to add some creaminess.
It also calls for 1 1/2 lbs. of chicken, which was way more than I used, and ours had a lot of chicken! If I had had the space I would have added some red pepper. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment